This Instant Pot Vegetable Stew is the ultimate vegan comfort food. The potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and peas are cooked in a thick, savory tomato broth to keep you warm and cozy during these cold fall and winter months.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Winter is coming! I can tell by the bitter cold nights we’ve had this week here in the Pacific Northwest. The cold temperatures were a great reason for me to cook up a pot of this Instant Pot Vegetable Stew. Who doesn’t love a good stew? They are so satisfying when the weather is cold, and they are also a great way to get more veggies into your diet.
This vegan stew is inspired by a pot roast recipe I used to make way back before I was vegan. I remember cooking it for hours in my slow cooker, and the house smelling so delicious. Well, this stew is just as good without meat. And because it’s thickened with red lentils, it has an extra boost of protein. It also cooks fast in my Instant Pot and fills the house with a mouth watering aroma!
This stew is so delicious! The vegetables practically melt in your mouth, and the broth is so thick and savory. This is the perfect meal for the cold winter months!
To make this stew meatier, you can add in some seitan when you add the peas. Or add some mushrooms, like my husband does. I’m not a mushroom fan, however, so I make the stew without.
How to Make Instant Pot Vegetable Stew
Begin by sautéing the onion and celery in the Instant Pot on the Sauté setting, until the onion is translucent. Add in the garlic and saute for about a minute, until the garlic is fragrant, but be careful not to burn it. Then add the tomato paste and cook for one more minute.
Add the rest of the ingredients, except the peas. Stir, and then cook on the Manual setting for 10 minutes with a natural pressure release.
Once the pressure has come down, remove the lid and stir in the peas. Replace the lid, but don’t seal it, and let the peas cook in the stew for about 5 minutes on the Keep Warm setting.
Serve the stew with some nice crusty whole grain bread and enjoy!
For other savory, warming meals, see:
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Thick and Hearty Vegan Chili
- Vegetable Dal in the Instant Pot
- Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Black Eyed Peas with Greens
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?
And if you love your Instant Pot, don’t miss my roundup of over 25 oil free vegan Instant Pot recipes from around the web!
Pin to save for later:
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Instant Pot Vegetable Stew
- Instant Pot
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 6 carrots roughly chopped
- 8 small to medium Russet potatoes cut in large cubes
- 5 cups veggie broth
- ¾ cup dry red lentils rinsed
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In the Instant Pot, sauté the onion and celery on the Sauté setting until soft. Add a small amount of water to loosen vegetables if they begin to stick.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 or two more minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, veggie broth, red lentils, and the seasonings. Cook in the Instant Pot on manual setting for 10 minutes with a natural pressure release.
- When the pressure has come down, remove the lid and stir in the peas. Replace the lid and leave the pot on the “Keep Warm” setting for approximately 5 minutes or until the peas are cooked.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.