Easy Oil Free Tortilla Chips are a healthy alternative to store bought chips, and are quick to make in the oven or air fryer. Enjoy them guilt-free with your favorite dips or salsa!
I absolutely love tortilla chips! Along with a sandwich or Mexican entrée, made into a big pile of nachos, or just for snacking. I can’t seem to resist the crispy deliciousness.
But most store bought chips don’t fit in with an oil free plant based diet. By making homemade tortilla chips, you can have a healthy snack without the extra calories and guilt.
Ingredients you need for homemade baked tortilla chips
You really only need one ingredient to make oil free tortilla chips – corn tortillas! None of the corn tortillas I have seen have added oil, but check the labels to make sure. Yellow or white corn tortillas are fine. Mission brand makes an extra thin tortilla that I love to use for the crispiest oil free chips.
How to make baked corn tortilla chips in the oven
Cut 5 corn tortillas into 6 or 8 triangles with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Then arrange the tortilla pieces on a cookie sheet in a single layer without overlapping them.
If desired, spread or spray a light coating of bottled or fresh lime juice over the tortillas.
Sprinkle with salt and other seasonings as desired.
Bake at 375° F for about 10 minutes. Check the tortilla chips frequently during the last few minutes of baking, and remove them as they become golden brown. The chips might not bake evenly, so you may need to remove some before others.
How to make baked corn tortilla chips in the air fryer
This is my preferred method for making my tortilla chips. I love how easy and quick it is, and it takes far less energy without heating the house in the summer.
I have an Instant Vortex 5.8 quart air fryer. I love that it has a preheat function, and a large capacity.
Prepare the tortillas as described above.
Preheat the air fryer to 350° degrees F.
Place the tortilla pieces in the air fryer basked in a staggered manner.
Air fry for 5 to 7 minutes, shaking and redistributing the chips halfway through the cooking time. Watch them closely towards the end of cooking. They might not cook evenly, so remove chips as they are done and continue cooking until all the chips are crispy.
Ideas to switch up the flavor:
If you want to season your chips, sprinkle onion powder, garlic powder chili powder or any seasoning you desire over them before baking or air frying. Coating them with a thin coating of lemon or lime juice will help the seasonings stick.
What to serve with baked tortilla chips
Frequently asked questions
Store them in an air tight container or Ziplock bag to keep them fresh.
All of the corn tortillas I have seen are gluten free, but be sure to check the labels.
These chips will last for about 10 days, if you can resist eating them for that long. They disappear quickly in my house!
Yes, you can. Follow the same instructions as for the corn tortillas. Flour tortillas have a lower water content than corn tortillas, so they will bake faster.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Oil Free Tortilla Chips
- 5 oil free corn tortillas
- lime juice
- other spices of choice
Oven Baked Tortilla Chips
- Cut the tortillas into 6 or 8 wedges.
- Arrange the tortilla wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Make sure they do not overlap, or they will stick together and not bake properly.
- Bake the tortilla chips at 375° F for about 10 minutes, until they are golden brown. Watch them carefully during the last few minutes to make sure they don't burn. Some of the chips may be done before others, so remove them from the pan as they are done.
- If desired, apply a thin layer of lime juice or other liquid and sprinkle with salt or other spices of choice.
Air Fried Tortilla Chips
- Cut the tortillas into 6 or 8 wedges, depending on the size of chips desired.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350° F.
- When the air fryer is preheated, place the tortilla wedges in the air fryer basket in a staggered manner.
- Air fry for about 5 minutes, tossing the chips half way through the cooking time. If the chips are not all done, remove the the ones that are done and continue cooking the rest for a minute at at time until all of them are golden brown and crunchy.