Mix up a batch of this Easy Vegan Sausage Gravy Mix and have luscious vegan country gravy in minutes. So delicious poured over your breakfast potatoes or tofu scramble! Or mix some vegan sausage into the gravy and pour over some biscuits. It would even be tasty over some mashed potatoes. You’re going to love just how simple this is!
On weekends my husband and I like to spend a little more time cooking a nice breakfast (or usually, by the time we take care of the pets, make the coffee, and get everything prepared, it’s more of a brunch). Sometimes it’s pancakes or french toast. But at least once a week, we love to make my tofu scramble with some oil-free hash browns or roasted potatoes.
I’m a sauce person. How about you? I’m all about the flavor! And gravies and sauces are a perfect way to up the flavor with our foods. This Easy Vegan Country Gravy Mix makes a perfect gravy for my breakfast potatoes and tofu scramble. And it’s so quick and easy!
By making this mix, you can have breakfast gravy in minutes! Just mix it with your favorite plant based milk and heat until it boils and thickens. Easy peasy! The recipe makes enough mix to make six batches of gravy. And you can easily double or even triple the mix recipe. What a great time saving make ahead recipe!
Why you’ll love this country gravy recipe:
- It’s vegan and oil free!
- You can make it with simple ingredients you have in your pantry.
- Mixes up in minutes!
- It’s perfect for vegan biscuits and gravy.
- You can make a double or triple batch and store it in your cupboard or pantry.
- It’s absolutely delicious!
Ingredients in this white gravy recipe
- Whole wheat pastry flour – I’ve also made this recipe with all purpose flour and with whole wheat flour.
- Corn Starch – this can be substituted with arrowroot powder if you are sensitive to corn
- Nutritional yeast
- Rubbed sage
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Poultry Seasoning
- Black Pepper
Can I make this recipe gluten free?
I haven’t tested this recipe with gluten free flour, but I’m sure it would also work nicely with a 1-to-1 gluten free flour blend like this one from Bob’s Red Mill.
How to make this easy vegan country gravy mix
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Then transfer the mix to a jar, label it, and store it in your cupboard.
Using the mix to make country gravy
When you want to make the gravy, mix together 1/3 cup of mix with 2 cups of your favorite plant based milk. I find it easiest to mix together if I place the gravy mix in the bowl or pot first and gradually stir in the milk a bit at a time.
I usually heat this in the microwave on 80% power, stirring every 30 seconds until it is thick. The gravy can also be cooked over medium heat on the stove, stirring constantly until it is thickened.
How long does this gravy mix last?
Stored in an air tight container, this mix will last for several months.
The prepared gravy will last for up to 5 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
How to reheat this gravy
This country gravy thickens a bit in the refrigerator. Reheat it in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove. If it is still to thick after reheating it, add a little non-dairy milk to thin it out.
In addition to topping your favorite savory breakfast dishes, this also makes a perfect white gravy for vegan biscuits and gravy.
Just make up a batch of my Oil-Free Vegan Biscuits and my Vegan Breakfast Sausage Links. Dice the sausage, or grind it up in a food processor and add it to the cooked gravy. Pour the sausage gravy over the biscuits for the ultimate comfort food breakfast, Biscuits & Gravy!
You’re going to absolutely love how easy and delicious this is! So good, you just might be caught licking the bowl.
SERVE THIS COUNTRY GRAVY WITH:
- Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Breakfast Hash
- Vegan Breakfast Sausage Links
- Oil-free Vegan Biscuits
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Country Gravy Mix
- 1 cup whole wheat pasty flour all purpose flour or whole wheat flour will also work
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly combines
- Store the gravy mix in an airtight container such as a glass jar.
- To make a batch of gravy, stir 1/3 cup of the mix into 2 cups of unsweetened soy milk. Heat in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously, until the gravy comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Alternatively, the gravy can be cooked in the microwave on medium high heat, stirring every 30 seconds until it is thickened.
Nutrition calculation are approximate.
Pin it now to save for later: