This BBQ Tofu recipe is so delicious! This easy recipe is sure to become one of your favorite summer grilling recipes. It’s sweet, tangy smoky, spicy, and oil free!
No need to feel left out at summer cookouts when you can have this delicious BBQ tofu! Coated with my homemade BBQ sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce, these tofu slices will make your mouth water! Sweet, tangy, smoky, spicy, and cooked until lightly charred, this will be one of your go to recipes for summer grilling.
Think you’re a tofu hater? Then you’ve been preparing it wrong! Just give this recipe a try and you’ll see how delicious tofu can be.
What type of tofu should I use?
For this recipe, use either extra firm or super firm tofu. I like to create a more “meaty” textured tofu by freezing a tub of extra firm tofu. I place the tofu in the refrigerator for a day or two to thaw before using.
Freezing the tofu makes the holes in the tofu larger, resulting in a more spongy consistency. After pressing, the frozen and thawed tofu absorbs even more flavor than tofu that hasn’t been frozen. This step isn’t necessary, but I really like the consistency of the tofu that has been frozen.
How to use a tofu press
I use an EZ Tofu press for pressing my tofu. Fully unscrew the press, and place the tofu within the guide lines inside the press. Tighten the screws, and place it on its side over a platter or pan for the water to drain into. Tighten the srews a bit more every few minutes. The liquid should be pressed out of the tofu in about 10 or 15 minutes.
How to press tofu without a tofu press
If you don’t have a tofu press, no problem! I went a long time before getting my tofu press.
Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and place on a plate or pan. Then place a couple of heavy books on top of the wrapped tofu.
Ingredients for this BBQ Tofu recipe
This is a very simple recipe, with just tofu and my Homemade Vegan BBQ Sauce, or your favorite BBQ sauce.
How to make grilled BBQ tofu
Slice the pressed tofu into 6 or 8 slices, depending on the thickness you want your tofu to be.
Place the slices in a baking pan and cover them with bbq sauce. Make sure all sides are coated. Reserve any remaining sauce for basting while grilling. Allow them to marinate in the sauce for about 30 minutes.
Preheat your grill to medium heat.
Oil free grilling was challenging for me, until I found these non-stick BBQ mats (affiliate link). The mat sits directly on the grill. Place the tofu slices on the mat and grill for about 6 to 7 minutes on each side, basting when turning. Grill until the sauce begins to caramelize, and there are charred areas on the tofu. Watch carefully so you don’t burn the tofu. I like to have a little bit of charring for flavor.
What to serve with this BBQ Tofu
There are so many ways to enjoy this grilled tofu.
- Serve along with all of your favorite BBQ cookout recipes, like my Vegan Potato Salad, my Vegan Macaroni Salad, and my Vegan Coleslaw.
- Enjoy this tofu in bowls along with grains or polenta, steamed or sauteed greens, and corn.
- Make a delicious BBQ tofu sandwich!
- Serve it with steamed or mashed potatoes and green vegetables.
- Enjoy a southern meal by pairing it with steamed greens, baked beans, and cornbread.
Pin to save for later
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
- 1 16 ounce package extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- Freeze the tofu in the tub. A day or two before making the recipe, remove the tofu from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator.
- Press the tofu.
- Slice the tofu into 6 or 8 slices, depending on the thickness of tofu you prefer.
- Place the tofu slices in a shallow baking dish and coat them with BBQ sauce. Let the tofu marinate in the sauce for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat your grill to medium heat. Place the tofu slices on a non-stick grilling mat on the grill. Grill for about 6 or 7 minutes per side, basting with additional BBQ sauce when turning.