This Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake will be your go to recipe when you’re craving chocolate. So rich and chocolaty, you’d never know it was vegan and oil free! Make it in just minutes right in your microwave!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
So moist and rich, this vegan chocolate mug cake is the perfect treat to make when you’re craving chocolate, but don’t want to wait.
Sometimes we’d love a treat, but don’t want to make (or eat) a whole cake or whole batch of cookies or cupcakes. The answer – mug cakes! What is a mug cake? It’s a single serving cake baked in a mug. This cake bakes in the microwave, so it’s ready in minutes. And it’s the perfect size for one person, or two if you want to share.
These cakes are conveniently easy – perfect for late night cravings, after school snacks, or dorm room baking!
And this double chocolate mug cake is oil free, egg free, and made with whole grain flour. The only refined sugar is in the chocolate chips. They can easily be left out to make the cake refined sugar free, but with just a tablespoon of chocolate chips, you really don’t want to miss out on that extra chocolatey goodness!
Ingredients for your vegan chocolate mug cake
- Whole wheat pastry flour – you could use all purpose flour, but the whole wheat pastry flour makes them just a bit healthier.
- Cocoa powder – use a good quality cocoa powder for the best flavor in your mug cake
- Baking powder – to help the cake rise
- Salt – just a pinch for flavor enhancement
- Non-dairy milk – I used plain unsweetened soy milk, but other non-dairy milks will work just fine
- Applesauce – an easy oil replacement
- Maple syrup – to sweeten the cake.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
How to make this chocolate mug cake
Step 1– Mix together the dry ingredients in your mug. Make sure they are well combined so you don’t have any lumps of baking powder.
Step 2– Add the wet ingredients and stir until all the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet ingredients. Be sure to get all the dry ingredients from the bottom edges of the mug.
Step 3 – Fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 4 – Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes on full power. Microwaves vary in wattage and power. I have a 1200 watt microwave, and my mug cake cooks in 1 minute. Begin checking your mug cake at 45 seconds. The cake will bake from the edges first, so check the center for doneness. If the cake isn’t completely baked, continue baking in the microwave, checking for doneness every 15 seconds.
Allow the cake to sit for a couple of minutes before eating, as the melted chocolate chips will be very hot.
For an extra special treat, how about topping this delicious cake with a scoop of my Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream or a dollop of Aquafaba Whipped Cream?
Tips for making a perfect mug cake
- Measure your ingredients accurately. To measure flour, spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level it with the back of a knife.
- Be sure you don’t over bake your mug cake. Begin checking it before it is completely baked. Then continue baking at 15 second intervals until the center is baked. If your cake turns out rubbery, then you have baked it too long. Once you have baked a couple of mug cakes, you will know how long it takes to bake them in your microwave.
I haven’t tested this recipe with gluten free flour, but believe it will work with a gluten free all purpose flour blend.
There are many brands of vegan chocolate chips. I often purchase the semi-sweet chocolate chips from Trader Joe’s. Kroger stores carry Simple Truth Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips that are vegan. And Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Dark Chocolate Chunks are vegan. Other vegan brands include Enjoy Life and Target’s Good & Gather Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.
I use a mug that holds 12 ounces. If you use a smaller mug, it will overflow.
Looking for more tasty vegan desserts?
- Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blueberry Oat Bars
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- Oil Free Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Oil Free Vegan Donuts
- Vegan Chocolate Pudding
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon dairy free chocolate chips
- Stir or whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the non-dairy milk, maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated into the wet ingredients and there are no lumps.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake in the microwave for 45 seconds to 1½ minutes, beginning to check for doneness at 45 seconds and then checking every 15 second until the cake is done.
- Let cool for a few minutes before enjoying! (You don't want to burn your mouth on the hot chocolate chips!)