These Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are so rich and decadent! They’re simple to make with no chilling time, and perfect for any chocolate lover!
What’s better than chocolate cookies? Double chocolate chip cookies! And even better, vegan chocolate cookies made without butter or oil!
It took several tries to get this cookie right. Oil free vegan baking can be a bit tricky! But I got to eat lots of cookies while I worked out the recipe! Sometimes this job can be absolutely delicious!
These vegan cookies are full of chocolate flavor, are oil free, egg free, dairy free, and whole grain. It’s such an easy recipe, you can bake some any time you want a special treat!
Ingredients needed for these vegan chocolate cookies
Exact measurements are given in the recipe card below.
- Ground flax seed – when mixed with water this forms a “flax egg”
- Almond butter – I use the Trader Joe brand which is 100% raw almonds
- Organic light brown sugar – you can substitute coconut sugar or organic granulated sugar
- Pure maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Cocoa powder – whichever brand you prefer. I used Trader Joe’s brand. I’ve also made these with Hershey’s cocoa powder.
- Baking soda
- Semi sweet chocolate chips – check the label to make sure they are vegan and don’t contain milk.
How to make vegan double chocolate chip cookies
Start by making the flax egg. Whisk together the ground flax seed and water. Set it aside and within a few minutes it will form an egg like gel. I find that using hot water helps it to gel faster.
In a small bowl, combine the flour and cocoa powder, the baking soda, and salt. You want to stir the together until they are completely combined, with no lumps of cocoa powder.
Mix together the almond butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and flax egg. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. It takes a bit of stirring to incorporate all of the flour into the cookie dough, but it will eventually mix in.
For extra chocolaty cookies, stir a small handful of chocolate chips into the dough.
Form the cookie dough into approximately one inch balls. There should be enough dough for about 16 cookies. Place the each ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten slightly.
Press chocolate chips into the top of the flattened cookie dough.
Bake the cookies at 325° F for 7 to 8 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.
After removing from the oven, let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to let the cookies cool completely.
Enjoy with a glass of non dairy milk!
Storing and freezing
These cookies are best eaten right out of the oven, when they’re still warm and fudgy, and the chocolate is melty. But you can store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. They can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
Frequently asked questions
I haven’t tested these cookies with gluten free flour, but I’ve had good luck substituting Bob’s Red Mill gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour in other dessert recipes.
Many chocolate chips contain milk, but Trader Joe’s has vegan chocolate chips, and the the chocolate chips from Enjoy Life are also vegan.
Here are more delicious vegan desserts you’ll love:
- Oil Free Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- Oil Free Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Cupcakes
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoons ground flax seed
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Make flax egg by combining 3 tablespoons hot water and 1 tablespoon ground flax seed. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, including the flax egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated. For extra chocolaty cookies, you can stir a small handful of chocolate chips into the dough.
- Form the dough into 1 in balls by rolling it in your hands. Please the balls of dough on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Slightly flatten each ball, and press additional chocolate chips into the top of each one.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Let them sit on the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.