This Mexican Coleslaw is a perfect side for your favorite Mexican dishes, or your burgers and sandwiches. We actually like this easy chipotle coleslaw dressing so much, we put it on everything!
My Mexican coleslaw recipe is based on a Mexican Slaw recipe from Healthy Girl’s Kitchen. We’ve been making this recipe for years, but I’ve changed it over time. My changes include using walnuts instead of cashews for higher Omega-3 fatty acids. I also swapped out chipotle chili powder for the canned chipotle chilies, and I left out the cilantro (not all my family members care for it) and jalapeno.
This dressing is so easy to make, and comes together in just minutes!
The Mexican slaw is absolutely delicious on tacos and tostadas, or inside burritos and wraps. We like to use the dressing on other dishes, too! It’s my favorite oil free condiment for drizzling on corn on the cob. And it’s been a perfect sauce for my quinoa and veggie bowls.
Chipotle can be quite spicy, so I give a range of measurement for the chipotle chili powder. Feel free to increase or decrease the chipotle powder to meet your flavor preference.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Cabbage – I used a combination of green and red cabbage. You can use any type of cabbage you like – red, green, savoy. If you’re short on time, purchase bagged shredded cabbage.
- Carrots – I love the color and touch of sweetness the carrots add to this slaw
- Walnuts – the blended walnuts add the creaminess to the dressing. Cashews or slivered almonds could be used instead.
- Lime juice – fresh squeezed is best, but you can also used bottled lime juice
- Chipotle chili powder – I’ve opted to use the chipotle chili powder because I always have it on hand, and it makes the dressing quick and easy
- Maple syrup – a touch of sweetness to offset the tart lime juice
- Garlic – to add a bit more zest to the dressing
- Salt and black pepper
- Cilantro – optional. Some people love it, others hate it. In my household we have one who doesn’t mind it, and three who don’t care for it, so I leave it out.
- Jalapeno – optional. If you want the jalapeno, you can chop it finely and add it to the slaw.
How to make Mexican coleslaw
This is a super easy recipe to make. Begin by shredding your cabbage and carrots. You can use a food processor or a mandolin to get thin, even slices, or slice by hand. Peel and grate your carrots. I use a salad shooter for grating my carrots. Place the shredded vegetables in a large bowl.
Then just place all of the dressing ingredient, in a blender and blend until the dressing is smooth. I love my Vitamix for blending smooth salad dressings, but the walnuts are soft enough to blend with a less powerful blender.
Pour the dressing over the shredded cabbage and stir to combine.
How to serve this chipotle coleslaw
- This coleslaw is delicious on tacos or tostadas!
- Serve it along side your other favorite Mexican dishes like my Quinoa and Black Bean Enchiladas or my Soy Curl Fajitas.
- It’s a great side for burgers and sandwiches like my Black Bean Burgers or my Chickpea Burgers.
- Include this slaw in your veggie wraps.
- The dressing is amazing drizzled on corn on the cob.
- The tasty dressing is also wonderful on grain and veggie bowls
I would begin by making the dressing. It can be refrigerated for up to a week. The vegetables can be shredded a day or two in advance, but I wouldn’t mix the dressing in until you are ready to serve the coleslaw. The dressing will wilt the cabbage if it sits for very long.
Add more spice with a minced jalapeno. If you’re a cilantro fan, some chopped cilantro is a great addition. Chopped green or red onions, or corn could also make nice additions.
Certainly! I would start with just a quarter to a half of a pepper, since the amount of dressing is small. I opt for the dried chipotle powder to I don’t have to store the rest of a can of chipotle chili peppers.
Yes! Cashews would make a nice creamy dressing. Almonds would also work. If you need a nut free dressing, try using sunflower seeds. Any of these substitutes will change the flavor of the dressing.
Want other tasty side dishes?
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Mexican Brown Rice
- Vegan Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- Sauteed Kale with Garlic & Onions
- Vegan Classic Coleslaw
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
Things I found useful for making this Mexican Slaw (affiliate links)
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
- 4 cups shredded cabbage green,, red, and/or savoy
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ¼ cup raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- Shred the cabbage and grate the carrot, and place the vegetables in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage, and stir together until well combined.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.