These vegan soy curl fajitas are a quick and easy meal that’s perfect for weeknights. This tasty filling is perfect in tacos, burritos, or bowls. You can enjoy delicious this Tex-Mex restaurant favorite from your own kitchen!
Vegan Sheet Pan Fajitas with Soy Curls
Fajitas are a Tex-Mex dish, traditionally made with seasoned strips of skirt steak. The word “fajita” actually referred to these strips of meat. Fajitas are now made with other types of meat, and usually cooked with peppers and onions. I’ve chosen to use soy curls as a meat substitute in my recipe.
Soy curls have a texture similar to chicken, and take on the flavors of whatever you cook them with.
These sheet pan fajitas bake in the oven while you prepare your other meal ingredients, making this an easy meal to put together any night of the week. It’s like enjoying your favorite Mexican restaurant meal, right in your own home.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these amazing fajitas!
- Butler soy curls
- Bell peppers – any color you like. I used a combination of green, yellow, and red.
- Onion – I used a yellow one, but a sweet onion or a red onion would also be great!
- Fajita spices – my blend of spices create a medium spicy fajita. If you want more heat, increase the chipotle chili powder, or add a bit of cayenne powder. If you don’t care for much spice, reduce the chipotle chili powder.
How to make soy curl fajitas
This is a super easy recipe. You can prepare it quickly, making it perfect for weeknight meals. All you need to do is:
Begin by soaking the soy curls in hot veggie broth. They will absorb most of the broth and soften.
Slice your vegetables. Combine the soy curls, vegetables, and spices.
Bake until the veggies start to soften, and the soy curls begin to brown.
How to serve these fajitas
Fill a corn or flour tortilla with some of this fajita filling and add your favorite toppings: lettuce, salsa, guacamole, cashew cheese sauce, vegan sour cream, or whatever you like. Alternatively, you can make great fajita burrito bowls by adding this fajita filling to a bowl of rice or quinoa along with your favorite Mexican bowl ingredients.
Soy curls are sold at many grocery stores, including Whole Foods and New Seasons. If you are unable to find them locally, they are available to order through Amazon, or directly from Butler Foods. I have found that ordering them in bulk from Butler Foods is the cheapest way to purchase them.
Soy curls are a wonderful source of plant based protein. The only ingredient is non-GMO soybeans. They’re oil free, gluten-free, and have no unhealthy chemicals. They are much less processed than many other types of meat substitutes.
TVP and soy curls are both soy based products that are used as meat substitutes. While soy curls use the whole soy bean, TVP is more highly processed. TVP is sold in small bits or chunks, while soy curls are longer strips which resemble strips of chicken.
If you don’t want to use soy curls, you can use tofu, chickpeas, seitan, or another vegan chicken substitute.
Absolutely! Soy curls are naturally gluten free, as are all the other ingredients I’ve used in this recipe. Just make sure to corn tortillas or another gluten free tortilla option.
For more Mexican favorites, see:
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Quinoa and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Mexican Vegetable Saute
- Black Bean and Grilled Veggie Tacos
- Mexican Quinoa Bowl
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Lentil Walnut Taco Meat
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Fat Free Tortillas
- Vegan Tostadas
- Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
- Vegan Nachos
Other soy curl recipes you might enjoy:
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Soy Curl Fajitas
- 4 ounces Butler Soy curls
- 1 ½ cups hot veggie broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- ½ green bell pepper sliced
- ½ red bell pepper sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 lime
- corn or flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Place the soy curls in a bowl, and pour the hot veggie broth over them. Let them sit to absorb the broth for about 10 to 15 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the spices in a small bowl and set aside,
- Slice the onion and peppers and place them in a mixing bowl.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the soy curls from the soaking bowl. Dicard any broth that was not absorbed by the soy curls. Add the soy curls to the bowl of onions and peppers. Mix in the spices.
- Spread the soy curls and vegetables evenly on a parchment covered baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning once in the middle of the cooking time.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with the juice of 1 lime.