These Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes are a perfect, oil free vegan copycat of the Taco Bell Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes. The tasty seasoned potato nuggets are topped with a drizzle of vegan cheese sauce and dollop of creamy dairy free sour cream. Enjoy them as a tasty snack, or alongside your burritos, tacos, or tostadas.
My daughters love the fiesta potatoes from Taco Bell! Since we’re vegan, we order them without the nacho cheese sauce and sour cream. They’re tasty little seasoned potato bites. But as tasty as they are, I avoid them because of the oil they’re cooked in. They’re certainly not a healthy option!
This fiesta potato recipe is a lightened up version or those tasty little morsels! They have all the crispiness and flavor of the Taco Bell potatoes, but none of the fat. Why cook them in oil when you don’t have to?
And with my homemade copycat recipe, you can enjoy them with the delicious toppings. Just add some of my Cashew Cheese Sauce and Dairy Free Sour Cream, and you can enjoy a plant based version of that Taco Bell side that’s a favorite to everyone – vegan and non-vegans.
This recipe has three parts – the potatoes, the cheese sauce, and the sour cream. The cheese sauce and sour cream can be made a few days in advance, and are both delicious on other foods. You’ll only use a small portion of each of these for the fiesta potatoes, so you’ll have plenty leftover for your Mexican dishes, your baked potatoes, your roasted veggies, your bowls, and more!
Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- Raw cashews – these should be soaked if you don’t have a high speed blender
- Lemon juice
- Hot sauce
- Nutritional Yeast
- Chili Powder, Paprika, Onion Powder, and Salt
Making the Cheese Sauce
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
This sauce can be made a few days in advance, and will last up to a week in the refrigerator.
For more information on this sauce, see my post for Cashew Cheese Sauce.
Sour Cream Ingredients
- Lite firm silken tofu
- Raw cashews – soaked, if you don’t have a high speed blender
- Lemon juice and white wine vinegar
- Citric acid powder
Making the Sour Cream
I prefer to simmer my tofu for a few minutes to remove the “beany flavor”. Place the tofu in a pot of boiling water, then reduce the heat to a low boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Then drain the tofu.
Place the tofu and the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste the sour cream and add more vinegar,
For more information on this sour cream, see my post for Dairy Free Sour Cream.
Seasoned Potatoes Ingredients
These crispy roasted potatoes are made with less than 10 ingredients that you likely have in your pantry!
- Russet potatoes – you can use yellow potatoes, or even sweet potatoes for a unique twist
- All Purpose Flour – for gluten free potato bites, use cornstarch
- Spices – onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper
How to make the oil free seasoned potatoes
Start by peeling and dicing your potatoes into approximately one inch cubes. You can leave the peel on, if desired.
Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and fill with water to about an inch or two above the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for about 5 minutes. You only want the potatoes to be parboiled, not fully cooked. They will finish cooking in the oven.
While the potatoes are cooking, mix together the flour and spices in a small bowl.
Drain the potatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over them and gently toss until they are coated evenly with the spices.
Place the potatoes on a baking sheet coated with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Bake them until they are crispy and golden brown.
Assemble the Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
Divide potatoes into four separate small bowls or plates. Top each with a drizzle of the cheese sauce, and a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Serve these fiesta potatoes along with your veggie burgers or sandwiches.
- Enjoy them with your burritos, tacos, or other Mexican dishes.
- Serve them alongside your tofu scramble.
Frequently asked questions:
I would store the potatoes and toppings separately, so the potatoes don’t become soggy.
Store any leftover potatoes in a ziploc bag or air tight container for up to 5 days. They will not be as good as they are straight out of the oven on the fist day, but they can be reheated in the oven or an air fryer. They will not be crispy if reheated in a microwave.
Store the cheese sauce and sour cream in air tight containers in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.
Starchy potatoes like Russets are the best if you want your potato bites to be fluffy inside. You can use waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold, but they will not have the fluffy texture that russet potatoes have.
Yes. Bake the potatoes in the air fryer at 400 F, shaking them at 5 minute intervals until they are crispy and golden brown.
To make the seasoned potatoes gluten free, substitute cornstarch for the all purpose flour. The toppings for the cheesy fiesta potatoes are naturally gluten free.
For more potato recipes, see:
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Baked French Fries
- Seasoned Waffle Fries
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Potato Kale Soup
- Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
- Instant Pot Vegetable Stew
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Twice Baked Potatoes with Ham and Broccoli
For more Mexican recipes, check out my roundup of Vegan Cinco de Mayo Recipes.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes, Vegan (Oil Free!)
Seasoned Potato Bites
- 1 ½ pounds russet potatoes peeled
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 2 cup raw cashews soaked
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ to 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- rounded ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
Dairy Free Sour Cream
- 12.3 ounces lite firm silken tofu
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- pinch citric acid powder
How to make the Seasoned Potato Bites
- Dice the potatoes into approximately ¾ inch cubes and place them in a large pot of water.
- Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Do not over cook the potatoes, because they will cook more in the oven.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer the to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the potatoes and stir to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375°F, turning them after 15 minutes.
How to make the Cashew Cheese Sauce
- Add all the ingredients to a blender. (If you're not using a high speed blender, be sure to soak your cashews before making the cheese sauce.)
- Blend on high until the sauce is smooth. This sauce thickens in the refrigerator. If necessary, add additional water to reach your desired consistency.
How to make the Dairy Free Sour Cream
- If you don't have a high speed blender, soak your cashews overnight or for 4-5 hours. For a quicker soak, you can boil the cashews for 30 minutes.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the tofu and gently boil for 3 minutes to reduce the "beany" flavor from the tofu.
- Add the drained tofu and all the remaining sour cream ingredient to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, vinegar, or citric acid to taste.
Assemble the Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
- Place a serving of the potatoes in a bowl or on a plate.
- Drizzle with cashew cheese sauce and top with a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.