Did you know you could make crispy, homemade baked french fries without oil? These fries have the perfect golden crisp, and are easy to make with just potatoes and some seasoning. They’re a wonderful side for your burgers and sandwiches, or just for a healthy snack!
Potatoes have gotten a bad rap when it comes to nutrition. These tasty tubers are not the nutritional villain they’re made out to be. Potatoes are loaded with nutrients and fiber! It’s not the potatoes that are bad, but the way they’re prepared that is the problem.
French fries are typically deep fried, resulting in a high saturated fat snack. But these baked french fries are made without a drop of oil, making them a great heart healthy alternative!
You can enjoy french fries every day!
You’ll love these homemade baked french fries because they’re:
- Crispy and tasty!
- Naturally gluten-free.
- A great oil-free side or snack.
- Loaded with nutrients and fiber.
- Free of fat and cholesterol
- Easy to make!
- Customizable with your favorite seasonings.
What do you need to make baked french fries?
It doesn’t take much to make oven fries! All you need are:
- Potatoes – I usually use russet, but yellow or Yukon Gold potatoes are delicious too!
- Seasonings – I used my Fry Seasoning, but you can use whatever seasoning blend you desire.
That’s it! No oil needed!
How to bake french fries
Start by washing your potatoes with a vegetable brush. You can peel the potatoes, or leave the peels on.
Slice the potatoes into strips as thick or thin as you like. You can make them as thick as steak fries, or as thin as shoestring potatoes. I like to cut my fries somewhere between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch thick.
Place the cut potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes. Boiling the potatoes will remove some of the starch and results in crispier fries. Drain them well, and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Sprinkle the fry seasoning or your favorite seasoning blend on the potatoes. Gently stir to coat the fries.
Place the potatoes on a parchment covered baking sheet in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd them, or they won’t crisp properly.
Bake the fries for 30 to 40 minutes in a 450 F oven, turning after the first 15 minutes.
Leftover french fries can be reheated in the oven or in an air fryer. Fries do not retain their crispiness when reheated in the microwave.
These fries are delicious dipped in ketchup or fry sauce. I also love to dip them in my Cashew Cheese Sauce, my Vegan Thousand Island Dressing, or my Chipotle Mayo. Another favorite way to enjoy them is to top them with some vegan chili and cheese sauce to make Chili Cheese Fries. And of course, we all know that burgers and fries are one of the most classic American pairings, so how about serving them alongside my Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers, or my Chickpea Burgers.
For more vegan appetizers, see:
- Vegan Chili Cheese Fries
- Tomato Bruschetta
- Vegan Stromboli
- Asian Soy Curl Lettuce Wraps
- Air Fryer Waffle Fries
- Vegan Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
- Vegan Nachos
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Homemade Baked French Fries
- 2 pounds Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons Fry Seasoning
- Clean the potatoes with a vegetable brush. If desired, peel them.
- Slice the potatoes into fries. I cut mine between ¼ and ½ inch thick.
- Place the potatoes in a pot of cold water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 minutes. Parboiling the potatoes removes some of the starch and makes them crispier.
- Drain the potatoes well, and transfer them to a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the fry seasoning over them and gently stir to coat the fries.
- Spread the fries in a single layer on a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake at 450° F until the fries are golden brown, turning them after the first 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.