These oil-free vegan biscuits are perfect for breakfast sandwiches, topping for veggie pot pie, or just eating fresh out of the oven with a bit of jam. Make them up quickly with just 7 ingredients in about 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Who doesn’t love biscuits? Hot out of the oven, fluffy and delicious! And made without dairy or oil. These whole wheat biscuits are amazing!
Making vegan biscuits is easy. You could just substitute a vegan butter for regular butter. But what about a dairy free, oil free biscuit?
Most of the fat free biscuits I’ve tried have been too dense for my preference. I had given up on oil-free biscuits, until I discovered my secret ingredient.
My Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise makes a perfect substitute for oil or butter in this recipe! However, if you don’t have some of this mayo on hand, and want to make your biscuits in a hurry, non-dairy yogurt will also work.
Growing up, I often made the biscuits for our family’s weekend breakfasts. I learned from my dad that the secret to tender biscuits was to not over mix the ingredients, and to only knead the dough a few times. The more you handle the dough, the tougher your biscuits will turn out.
These healthy biscuits are perfect for biscuits and gravy, breakfast biscuit sandwiches, as a topping for veggie pot pies, or just fresh out of the oven with a bit of jam.
- Soy milk or other unsweetened nondairy milk
- White vinegar
- Whole wheat pastry flour – if you can’t find whole wheat pastry flour, try using white whole wheat flour. Regular whole wheat flour is a bit heavy for this recipe.
- Tofu Cashew Mayo or non-dairy yogurt
- Baking powder
- Sugar (optional)
How to make vegan biscuits:
To make these biscuits, begin by making a vegan buttermilk. Do this by mixing a teaspoon and a half of vinegar into a half cup of soy milk and set aside. The vinegar will curdle and thicken the soy milk.
Stir together the dry ingredients. Then, with a fork or pastry cutter, mix in the Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise (or vegan yogurt) until the mixture is crumbly.
Add the soy milk and mix with a fork, just until the dough comes together. You do not want to over mix, or the biscuits will be tough.
Knead the dough just a few times on a floured surface. Flatten to about ¾ inch and cut into biscuits with a biscuit cutter or a glass. Depending on the size of your cutter, this recipe makes approximately 8 biscuits.
Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with a silicone sheet or parchment paper, and bake for 9 to 11 minutes at 450° F.
I haven’t tested gluten free flour with this recipe, but I’ve had good luck in other recipes using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour.
There are so many ways to enjoy these biscuits!
For breakfast, serve them along with a tofu scramble, or make a breakfast biscuit sandwich. They’re also perfect for biscuits and gravy. Just mix up some of my country gravy, stir in some chopped breakfast sausage, and spoon it over the hot biscuits!
These biscuits are best eaten straight out of the oven. If you have leftover biscuits, the can be stored in an air tight container for 2 to 3 days. The biscuits will be a bit dryer after storing.
You can also store them in an air tight bag or container in the freezer for about 2 months.
Here are some more vegan breakfast ideas you’ll love!
- Vegan Pancakes
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Hash
- Biscuits & Gravy
- Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Frittata
- Vegan Eggs Benedict
I hope you enjoy these biscuits!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Whole Wheat Biscuits – Vegan and Oil Free
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Tofu Cashew Mayo or non dairy yogurt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Stir the white vinegar into the soy milk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the mayonnaise to the flour mixture and combine with a pastry cutter or fork to mix until crumbly.
- Add the soy milk and stir just until combined.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough just a few times – do not over mix.
- Pat out the dough to about a ½ inch thickness and cut into biscuits with a round cookie cutter or a glass.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment lined pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, until they begin to brown on top.
Nutrition facts are approximate.