This creamy, luscious Vegan Tahini Sauce is a delicious addition to so many dishes. Whether you use it as a dip for veggies or pita, as a salad dressing, or a sauce for falafel and buddha bowls, you’re going to love this fast and easy sauce!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
First popular in the middle east, tahini sauce has become popular around the world. A smooth and creamy sauce with a wonderful nutty yet pleasingly tangy flavor, it’s sure to be a favorite.
This sauce is good for you too. it’s full of nutrients and a great source of plant protein and beneficial unsaturated, healthy fats. Not bad to have a mouthwatering, very healthy dressing that happens to be really easy and fast to make!
Once you make this easy vegan tahini sauce you’ll want to share it at get togethers and everyone will be coming back for more!
Vegan Tahini Sauce Ingredients
This simple sauce has only 5 basic ingredients as listed below:
- Tahini Paste – a ground sesame seed paste that is the main ingredient. There are several brands available at grocery stores such as Trader Joes or Whole foods.
- Lemon Juice – fresh squeezed is best, but bottled will work fine. Lime juice is sometimes used instead to suit.
- Garlic – gives a savory slightly spicy zing to the sauce. Use fresh cloves for the best flavor, but bottled minced garlic will work fine too. Garlic powder can be used if other forms aren’t available, about 1/2 teaspoon or to taste.
- Cumin – Adds a rich, earthy, and a slightly citrus spiciness to this vegan tahini.
- Salt – to taste
- Optional Garnishes – You can add a bit of fresh herbs like parsley or mint to make a more lively version of the tahini dressing.
- Optional Sweetener – if you want to balance the tanginess, add about 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or to taste.
How to Make this Sauce
Blender Method: To make this tahini sauce recipe, start with assembling all the ingredients and place them in a blender until you get a smooth sauce (high speed blenders tend to make a smoother tahini dressing). If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water until the desired consistency is found.
Hand Whisking Method: To make this tahini sauce recipe by hand, place all the ingredients but water into a medium sized bowl and start whisking them together. The sauce will start out thick but will smooth out and become thinner as you add water. Begin with about 1/4 cup and then add more as needed, a tablespoon at a time, until you get the consistency you prefer.
There are really an unlimited number of foods that you could use this tahini dressing with. Let your imagination go and indulge in the creations you make!
- As a sauce for your chickpea wraps or falafel wraps.
- Drizzle it on salads.
- Add it as a topping to any number of your favorite sandwiches. How about on veggie burgers like our Chickpea Burgers?
- Use it as a diping sauce for our Baked French Fries, our Waffle Fries, chips, or sliced raw veggies.
- Serve it over steamed or roasted vegetables.
- Mix it with a bit of soy sauce as an alternate marinade for our grilled tofu Kabobs?
Frequently Asked Questions
Tahini is a thick paste made from crushed sesame seeds. Tahini sauce is a combination of tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, water and sometimes herbs like parsley or mint.
Tahini sauce will keep for about a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
You can keep tahini sauce for up to 3 months in the freezer. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and give it a stir before using.
Explore our Oil Free Vegan Staples Cookbook
More vegan sauce recipes:
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
- Cashew Cheese Sauce
- Oil Fee Marinara
- Enchilada Sauce
- Easy Berry Sauce
- Hummus Dressing
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Start with ¼ cup of water and add more a tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. Note: adding maple syrup is optional.
Hand whisking instructions
- Combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and salt in a bowl and begin whisking together. The mixture will become very thick as you mix. It will thin out as you whisk in the water. Start with ¼ cup of water and add more a tablespoon at a time until it is as thick or thin as you like.