These Vegan Orange Cranberry Muffins are perfect for a holiday brunch or an afternoon treat. They’re flavored with fresh squeezed orange juice, orange zest, and tart cranberries. This oil free recipe is sure to become a favorite!
These orange cranberry muffins are so good! The fresh orange juice and orange zest perfectly compliments the tart cranberries. It’s such a bright and fresh flavor!
And the aroma when these muffins are baking! It’s a wonderful holiday scent.
I’ve never cooked with with fresh cranberries before this, but boy did I enjoy eating my test recipes! This certainly will not be my last cranberry creation!
Soft and fluffy, bursting with flavor, and so easy to make!
And look how pretty they are! They’ll be perfect on a holiday table!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Flour – all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour work well for these muffins. If you need them to be gluten free, use a 1 to 1 gluten free flour like this one from Bob’s Red Mill
- Oranges – I used fresh squeezed orange juice as well as orange zest for flavoring these muffins.
- Cranberries – fresh cranberries are recommended.
- Walnuts – pecans can be used in place of the walnuts. If you are following a nut free diet, feel free to omit them.
- Non dairy milk – I used unsweetened soy milk, but feel free to substitute your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Sugar – organic cane sugar is vegan. You can substitute another dry sweetener of your choice.
- Applesauce – I use unsweetened applesauce from the store. Homemade applesauce is also wonderful.
- Baking Powder
How do I make vegan cranberry orange muffins?
Step 1: Coarsely chop the cranberries in your food processor. I like to leave some big chunks, and a few whole cranberries. Set the chopped cranberries aside.
Step 2: Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Step 3: Stir together the wet ingredients in a small bowl
Step 4: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix just until combined.
Step 5: Fold in the chopped walnuts, and then fold in the cranberries.
Step 6: Spoon the muffin batter into a prepared muffin pan. Since these muffins are oil free, use parchment baking cups or a silicone muffin pan.
Step 7: Bake the muffins at 375 F for 15 to 20 minutes, until the top of the muffin springs back when tapped, or when a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Helpful baking tips:
- Measure the flour by spooning it into the measuring cup and leveling with the flat side of a knife. Scooping the flour with the measuring cup can compact it and result in over measuring.
- Mix the batter just until combined, and gently fold in the nuts and cranberries. Over mixing can result in tough muffins.
How can I make these muffins gluten-free?
I haven’t tested these muffins with gluten free flour, but I have had good luck in other recipes using Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend.
How to store leftover muffins:
Leftover muffins can be stored covered on the counter for 2 to 3 days. If you want to keep them longer store them in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
You will love these vegan cranberry orange muffins because…
- they’re an absolutely delicious grab & go breakfast or snack.
- the freshly squeezed orange juice, orange zest, and cranberries compliment each other perfectly for a fresh, pleasant flavor.
- they’re dairy free, oil free, and can be made gluten free.
- they are decadent enough for a holiday brunch.
- they’re made with easy to obtain ingredients.
- you can make them a day or two ahead, or freeze them to enjoy later.
Here are some more healthy baking recipes:
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Blueberry Oat Bars
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Vegan Carrot Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Granola Bars
- Vegan Double Chocolate Cookies
Are you new to oil free cooking? Check out my Oil Free Cooking Tips to learn more about oil free baking, roasting, sauteing, and more!
Items used in this recipe:
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Coarsely chop the cranberries in a food processor, and set aside.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Zest the orange and then squeeze it for the juice. I needed 1 ½ oranges to get ½ cup of orange juice.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a small bowl or a measuring cup.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts and then the chopped cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins lined with parchment cupcake linersbaking cups or a silicone muffin pan and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick poked into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.