These vegan carrot muffins are moist, spicy, and delicious! They’re vegan, oil-free, and so easy to make. Made with whole grain flour and sweetened with maple syrup, they’re healthy enough for breakfast, and tasty enough for a mid day snack.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
I love a good muffin! Whether for breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea, or snack time at home or on the go, these vegan carrot muffins are just perfect!
Muffins are a great way to get fruits and vegetables into our baked goods and snacks. And these muffins provide a nice dose of Vitamin A from the carrots, and Omega-3 fatty acids from the walnuts and flaxseeds.
They’re also quick and easy to make! The most time consuming part of making these muffins is grating the carrots and chopping the walnuts. And that doesn’t really take that long.
You’ll love these oil free vegan carrot muffins because they’re
- Quick and easy to make.
- Oil free and refined sugar free.
- Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- Full of moist grated carrot and crunchy walnuts.
- Pleasantly spiced.
- A great source of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids.
- An absolutely delicious plant based treat!
These muffins are made from ingredients you probably already have in your plant based pantry. Specific measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
- Flax “egg” – this is made from 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water. After the mixture sits for a few minutes, it will gel like eggwhite.
- Whole wheat pastry flour – measure your flour by spooning it into your measuring cup and leveling the top with the flat side of a knife.
- Baking powder
- Ground ginger
- Soy milk – or other non dairy milk. Almond milk or oat milk would work well in this recipe.
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Maple syrup – use pure maple syrup, not pancake syrup
- Grated carrot – your carrots should be grated fresh. Don’t used pre-grated carrot from the store, or it will be too dry.
- Chopped walnuts – these are completely optional, but I like the addition of some chopped walnuts
How to make these muffins
Preheat the oven to 375° F.
Mix the ground flaxseed with very warm water and set it aside.
Finely grate the carrots. This can be done with a food processor or a box grater, but I like to use my flat grater and use the fine grating side. Chop the walnuts.
Combine the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk together the soy milk, maple syrup, and applesauce in a small bowl or measuring cup. Then whisk in the flaxseed mixture.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until combined. Fold in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
Spoon the batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan. Because these muffins are oil-free, they will stick to regular muffin liners. To prevent them from sticking use parchment baking cups, silicone muffin cups, or a silicone muffin pan.
Bake for 17-20 minutes, until the top of a muffin springs back when touched, or when a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Let them cool completely, then dig in to these tasty muffins!
I haven’t tested these muffins with gluten free flour, but I believe they would turn out great with a gluten free 1 to 1 flour blend like the one from Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur.
These muffins will keep at room temperature in an air tight container for about 3 days. You can also store them in the freezer in a ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 3 months.
Most carrot muffins contain sugar oil, making them a high calorie treat. This muffin recipe is made with whole grain flour, maple syrup, and is oil free, making them a much healthier option than many baked goods.
For more yummy baked goods, see:
- Vegan Corn Muffins
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Blueberry Oat Bars
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Carrot Muffins
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Mix the ground flax seed with very warm water and set it aside.
- Finely grate the carrots, and chop the walnuts.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk in the flaxseed mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until combined. Fold in the carrots and walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into a 12 cup muffin tin lined with parchment baking papers, or into a silicone muffin pan.
- Bake for 17 – 20 minutes, until the top of a muffin springs back when touched, or when a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.