Get ready to grab a spoon and dip it into this creamy Vegan Potato Kale Soup! This warm, hearty bowl is oil free, vegan, and oh, so good! It cooks quickly in the Instant Pot or on the stove top, making it perfect for busy nights.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Potato soups are usually thickened with heavy cream, and often have the addition of cheese. But this soup is rich and creamy without those fatty dairy products.
And this potato soup is also great for those busy evenings. Whether you cook it in the Instant Pot or on the stove top, it can be ready in an hour. And leftover soup is great to put in a thermos to take to work or school.
What do you need to make this vegan potato kale soup?
Potatoes – I used russet potatoes in my soup, but feel free to use red or yellow potatoes. I peel my potatoes, but if you want a more rustic soup, you can leave the peels on. For an even quicker soup, you can use frozen Southern style hash brown potatoes.
Onion, garlic, and celery – for added nutrients and flavor. If these are sauteed before adding the other ingredients, it will add an additional depth of flavor. But you can skip this step and just add everything except the cashews and non-dairy milk to the Instant Pot and set it to cook.
Vegetable broth – I like to use a couple of bouillon cubes with some water, but you can use any veggie broth you like.
Kale – This is a nutrition powerhouse! In fact, it’s one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet.
Nutritional Yeast – This is an excellent source of Vitamin B12, and it adds a “cheesy” flavor to the soup.
Non-dairy milk and raw cashews – These add a richness and creaminess to the soup. The cashews are optional if you have a nut allergy or are avoiding them for their fat content.
Salt, pepper, and dry parsley – For added flavor.
How to cook this soup in the Instant Pot:
Begin by sauteing the onions and celery on the Saute setting of the pot. Use a little water to keep the vegetables from sticking and scalding. When the onions are soft and translucent, add the garlic and saute for a minute or two, until the garlic is fragrant.
Add in the potatoes, kale, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, dry parsley, salt, and pepper. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, turn the lever to seal, and cook on the Manual setting for 5 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally.
Remove the lid from the Instant Pot. In a blender, puree the cashews with the non-dairy milk and 2 or three cups of the soup.
Pour the pureed mixture back into the pot and stir it in for a nice thick soup.
How to cook this soup on the stove top:
Follow the same basic instructions as cooking in the Instant Pot, but instead of cooking the soup at pressure, bring it to a boil on the stove. Then reduce the heat and cook on medium low until the potatoes are tender.
Finish the same way as cooking in the Instant Pot by blending the nondairy milk, cashews, and part of the soup, and adding it back into the pot.
The finished soup is the thickest, creamiest soup I’ve ever made! It’s so rich and delicious! Hard to believe there’s no cream in this!
Here are more delicious vegan soups!
- Instant Pot Vegetable Stew
- Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Vegetable Dal in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Vegan Corn Chowder
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
Are you an Instant Pot fan? Then don’t miss my roundup of 25 oil free vegan Instant Pot recipes from around the web!
And if you’re a kale lover, don’t miss out on my Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Onions!
Explore our Plant-Based Handbook
Make this Vegan Potato Kale Soup and let me know what you think by leaving a comment and a star rating below. I love to hear from you!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Potato Kale Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 5 cloves garlic. minced
- 8 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 ½ cups veggie broth
- ⅔ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dry parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup raw cashews (optional)
- 1 cups non-dairy milk
To cook in the Instant Pot:
- On the Saute setting, saute the onion and celery until the onion is tender. Use a small amount of water to keep the vegetables from sticking.
- Add in the garlic, and saute for another minute or two.
- Add the potatoes, kale, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, dry parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook on the Manual setting for 5 minutes, with a natural pressure release.
- Place two or three cups of the potato soup mixture in a blender with the cashews and non-dairy milk. Blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into the Instant Pot.
To cook on the stove top
- In a large stockpot, saute the onions and celery, adding small amounts of water as necessary to keep the vegetable from sticking and to deglaze the pan.
- When the onions are soft and translucent, add the garlic and saute for about 2 more minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the potatoes, kale, veggie broth, nutritional yeast, dry parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Place two or three cups of the potato soup mixture in a blender with the cashews and non-dairy milk. Blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into the soup pot and stir to combine.
Pin it now to save for later:
Nutrition calculations are approximate.