This Vegan Black Bean Soup is packed with vegetables and plant based protein. It’s oil-free, full of flavor, and cooked easily in an Instant Pot. This soup freezes well, so it’s perfect for meal prep.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
With the holidays over, I’ve been craving simple healthy meals like this Instant Pot Black Bean Soup. It’s satisfying and hearty enough to be a meal – even meat eaters will love it! It has plenty of protein and fiber from the beans, and it’s loaded with antioxidants, iron, and fiber.
Black beans are my absolute favorite bean. So I just knew I had to make a black bean soup. You’re going to love how hearty and comforting this soup is. It’s naturally gluten free, and a great meal for any time of year. You’ll want it in your weekly rotation.
What makes this soup so delicious is the fresh vegetables, the little kick from the jalapeno, and the wonderful blend of spices. I use chili powder, cumin, marjoram or Mexican oregano, paprika, chipotle powder, salt & pepper, and a couple of bay leafs.
It’s wonderfully flavored, and so much better than those cans of black bean soup you buy at the store.
How to make this Vegan Black Bean Soup
This soup is so easy to make in the Instant Pot! You don’t even need to pre-soak the beans.
Just dice and sauté the vegetables, add the rest of the ingredients except the tomato products to the pot, and cook. The acidity of the tomatoes can prevent the beans from softening while cooking, and we want soft, creamy beans for this recipe.
After the soup has cooked, stir in the tomatoes, and puree the soup with an immersion blender until it is your desired consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, remove a couple cups of the soup from the pot, puree it in a regular blender, and then stir it back into the soup. You can make it as creamy or chunky as you wish.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, this soup can be cooked on the stove top. If you choose this cooking method, soak your beans overnight, or do a quick soak by boiling them in water for three minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, and let them sit for an hour before draining and using them in the recipe. You will need to simmer the soup for 60 to 90 minutes, until the beans are tender.
This soup will keep for about 5 or 6 days in the refrigerator.
Can this soup be frozen?
Yes! This soup freezes wonderfully, making it perfect for Meal Prep. Allow the soup to cool, and then transfer it into freezer safe containers.
I like to use wide mouth Mason jars. Be sure to use the wide mouth jars because the standard jars are susceptible to cracking in the freezer.
The soup can also be frozen in Ziploc freezer bags. Just fill the bags with the completely cooled soup and lay them flat in the freezer.
The soup will keep for about 6 months in the freezer.
What should I serve with Black Bean Soup?
Enjoy this soup with my Vegan Corn Muffins, a salad, some tortilla chips, or a scoop of rice. A nice warm slice of whole wheat bread would also be a perfect accompaniment.
Some nice garnishes for the soup are cilantro, avocado, tomatoes or salsa, chopped onions, or some vegan sour cream or cheese. A splash of lime juice is also nice!
This soup is:
- easy to make
- gluten and oil free
- high in protein and fiber
- virtually fat-free
- high in iron, vitamin A, vitamin C
- 12% of your daily calcium
- a perfect recipe for food prep since it keeps well
- naturally thick & creamy
- inexpensive but filling and flavorful
Looking for more comforting soups?
For more Instant Pot recipes try:
- Instant Pot Vegetable Stew
- Savory Black Beans in the Instant Pot
- Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Vegetable Dal in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Mexican Brown Rice
Are you an Instant Pot fan? Don’t miss my roundup of over 25 oil free vegan Instant Pot recipes from around the web!
Make this Vegan Black Bean Soup and let me know what you think by leaving a comment and a star rating below. I love to hear from you!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 Jalapeño pepper stem and seeds removed, and minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano or marjoram
- ½ – 1 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Rinse the black beans and check for any rocks or debris. Set them aside.
- Sauté the onion, bell pepper, Jalapeño, carrots, and celery until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for about two more minutes.
- Add the water or broth, black beans, and spices. Cook in Instant Pot on manual setting for 24 minutes with a natural pressure release.
- Once the pressure has come down, stir in the tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. With an immersion blender, puree the soup to desired consistency. If you don’t have an immersion blender, remove part of the soup, blend it in a blender, and return to the pot.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.