The Vegan Corn Chowder recipe is creamy, delicious, and so cozy! It’s dairy free, gluten-free, oil free, and can be made with fresh, frozen, or canned corn. It deserves a spot on your regular menu rotation!
This creamy vegan corn chowder is one of my favorite soups! It’s a great vegan alternative when we are dining with our non-vegan family members and they are having clam chowder.
The fresh corn flavor is perfect when corn is in season, in late summer and early fall. But this creamy soup is also comforting year round, especially on a cold winter day. Just use frozen or canned corn in place of the fresh corn.
Traditional corn chowder is made with heavy cream or half and half. To make this vegan corn chowder recipe, I opted to use raw cashews to give it the creamy texture. I also blend part of the soup, for additional creaminess. If you’re allergic to cashews, you can substitute coconut milk.
You would never guess that this vegan corn chowder is dairy free! It’s amazingly delicious!
(Full amounts and ingredients in the recipe card below)
- Aromatics – onion, celery, red bell pepper, and garlic.
- Potatoes – I recommend using Yukon Gold potatoes for their creaminess, but red potatoes or russet potatoes will also work.
- Corn – if it’s corn season, fresh sweet corn is best. Frozen corn or canned corn will also work.
- Vegetable broth – use a low sodium version if you are watching your sodium level.
- Nutritional yeast – to add a depth of flavor to the chowder.
- Seasonings – bay leaf, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried thyme, salt and pepper.
- Non dairy milk – I used soy milk, but you can use your preferred milk. Oat milk or almond milk would be good options for this soup.
- Raw Cashews – when blended, raw cashews become creamy and add a wonderful richness to the chowder. You can leave them out for a lower fat soup, and it will still be delicious.
How to make vegan corn chowder
Step 1: If you’re using fresh corn, remove the corn kernels from the corn cob using a sharp knife or a corn cutter. My dad uses a corn cutter just like the one I linked to, and loves it. Be sure to use a knife or spoon to scrape the remaining corn bits and juices off the corn cobs!
Step 2: In a large soup pot, saute the chopped onion, diced celery, and diced red pepper over medium heat for about 7 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
Step 3: Add the garlic and saute for a about 2 more minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
Step 4: Add the potatoes, corn, vegetable broth, and the seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
Step 5: Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, and 2 cups of the soup ingredients from the pot, and the soy milk to a blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a high speed blender, you’ll need to soak the cashews before blending.
Step 6: Pour the blended ingredients to the soup pot and stir to combine. Continue simmering the soup until it is heated through. Taste, adjust seasonings, and enjoy!
- Chopped fresh parsley
- More corn
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegan bacon bits
- Paprika or smoked paprika
- Green onions
- Shredded vegan cheese
This corn chowder is full of vegetables and fiber to fill you up, making this great meal on its own. You might like to serve it with some crackers or bread, like my Multigrain Bread. This Ceasar Salad would also go nicely with this soup.
Frequently asked questions
This soup recipe is thickened with blended cashews. Alternatively, you can thicken the chowder with a bit of flour or cornstarch mixed with water, or with coconut milk. Pureeing the vegetables also helps to thicken the chowder.
This chowder can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stove top.
Yes, you can freeze corn chowder. Allow the soup to cool completely before freezing. Transfer it to freezer safe containers and freeze for up to three months. Thaw the chowder overnight in the refigerator before reheating and serving.
More vegan soup recipes!
If you love this Vegan Corn Chowder, try one of these other delicious vegan soup recipes next:
- Vegan Split Pea Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Potato Kale Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Corn Chowder
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound Yukon gold or red potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups sweet corn fresh, frozen, or canned
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley optional garnish
- In a large pot, water saute the onion, celery, and red bell pepper until the onion is translucent. If the vegetables start to stick to the pot, add a small amount of water to deglaze the pan.
- Add the garlic and saute for another two minutes.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bay leaf, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, soy milk, and two cups of the soup to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. *
- Pour the blended mixture into the soup pot and continue heating until warm through.