Enjoy this plant based take on a classic with my Vegan Caesar Salad. The oil-free cashew based dressing is creamy and flavorful, and the salad is topped with my crunchy oil-free croutons. You’re going to love it!
This just might be my best salad dressing yet! My husband definitely says it is.
I always loved Caesar salad, but Caesar dressing is not at all vegan. Traditional Caesar dressing gets its creaminess from eggs, its brininess and saltiness from anchovies, and its cheesiness from Parmesan cheese.
I’ve missed out on Caesar salad for a long time, but not any more!
This salad is so delicious! I could eat it every day!
It’s a great side salad to accompany your Italian meals, a bowl of soup, or anytime. Or make it into a main dish by adding some chickpeas, some falafel, or some vegan chicken.
How to Make This Vegan Caesar Salad
What goes into my Caesar dressing?
- Raw cashews for creaminess
- Garlic for classic taste
- Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar for tang
- Nutritional yeast for cheesiness
- Capers for the salty briny flavor
- Dijon mustard for zing
- A bit of maple syrup to smooth out the flavor
- Salt & pepper
To make the Caesar dressing, add all the dressing ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
If you don’t own a high speed blender, you will need to soak the cashews for at least 4 hours and drain them before making this dressing.
To make oil-free baked croutons, cut bread into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. If you are sensitive to gluten, use gluten free bread for your croutons.
Place the bread cubes in a bowl and toss with onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
Spread them onto a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes at 375°F until they are dry and crunchy.
For the salad, chop up some Romaine lettuce. Add the dressing and the croutons.
For extra cheesiness, sprinkle the salad with additional nutritional yeast or a vegan Parmesan cheese substitute.
For more oil free salads and dressings, see:
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Savory Garlic Dressing
- Vegan Creamy Italian Dressing
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Potato Salad
- Vegan Pesto Pasta Salad
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Macaroni Salad
- Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Caesar Salad
For the Caesar Dressing
For the Oil-Free Croutons
- 4 cups bread cubes diced (approx. 1/2" to 3/4" cubes)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
For the Caesar Salad
- 2 medium heads Romaine Lettuce chopped
- Nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese optional
To Make the Oil-Free Croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut the bread into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes. Place in a medium bowl.
- Mix together the seasonings and sprinkle over the bread cubes.
- Spread the bread cubes onto a baking pan and toast in oven for 10 minutes or until dry and toasty, stirring after 5 minutes.
To Make the Caesar Salad Dressing
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
To Make the Caesar Salad
- Chop the Romaine lettuce and place in a large bowl.
- Add the croutons and dressing, as much as you like, and toss until well coated. There will be extra dressing.
- If desired, garnish with additional nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.