These perfectly seasoned potato bites are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They’re a wonderful side dish or a tasty plant based snack.
Think you can’t have crispy roasted potato bites without oil? Think again. You just need a few secret cooking techniques to have potato perfection.
These baked potato bites are so irresistible, they might not make it to the dinner table. They have a crispy seasoned coating and the most tender, fluffy inside.
In fact, these little potato morsels just might become one of your go to plant-based snacks. They’re vegan, oil-free, and can be made gluten-free.
Are potatoes healthy?
Potatoes are usually given a bad rap, but they are actually a very healthy food. What makes them unhealthy is how they are prepared – usually with lots of oil, butter, or sour cream.
There’s no need to be afraid of plant based carbs. In fact, carbs are the main fuel for our muscles. Complex carbs are also high in fiber, which can help you feel full longer, and can also help prevent heart disease and keep blood sugar lower.
The high levels of potassium and magnesium in potatoes are helpful in lowering blood pressure, and the starch acts as a pre-biotic which is helpful for gut bacteria.
This WebMD article gives even more information about the amazing health benefits of potatoes!
- Russet potatoes – you can use red or yellow potatoes, or even sweet potatoes for a unique twist. I peeled my potatoes, but feel free to leave the peels on – just make sure to scrub them well.
- All Purpose Flour – for gluten free potato bites, use cornstarch.
- Spices – onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
How to make these seasoned potato bites
Start by peeling and dicing your potatoes into approximately one inch cubes. You can leave the peel on, if desired.
Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and fill with water to about an inch or two above the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for about 5 minutes. You only want the potatoes to be parboiled, not fully cooked. They will finish cooking in the oven.
While the potatoes are cooking, combine the flour and spices in a small bowl.
Drain the potatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over them and gently toss until they are evenly coated with the spices.
Place the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Don’t over crowd them.
Bake the potatoes until they are crispy and golden brown.
How to serve these crispy potato bites
- Serve them alongside your favorite sandwich like this Vegan Philly Cheesesteak.
- Top them with some vegan cheese sauce and dairy free sour cream to make Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes.
- Add them to a tortilla with some Tofu Scramble and salsa to make a breakfast burrito.
- Eat them as a snack with a tasty dipping sauce like this Cashew Cheese Sauce, some Chipotle Mayo, or Tahini Sauce.
There’s no shortage of oil-free dipping options to enhance your potato bites. Consider ketchup, homemade hummus, yogurt-based tzatziki, or a zesty salsa.
Frequently asked questions
Indeed! You can prepare your potato bites ahead of time, refrigerate them in an airtight container, and roast or air fry them when you’re ready to serve. This makes meal planning and party prep a breeze.
Leftover Oil-Free Crispy Potato Bites can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them in the oven or air fryer for that coveted crispiness. Microwaving works too, but the texture may not be as crispy.
Looking for more tasty potato recipes?
- Oil Free Baked French Fries
- Seasoned Waffle Fries
- Oil Free Hash Browns
- Potato Kale Soup
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Twice Baked Potatoes with Ham and Broccoli
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Crispy Potato Bites (Oil Free)
- 1 ½ pounds russet potatoes peeled
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dice the potatoes into approximately ¾ inch cubes and place them in a large pot of water.
- Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Do not over cook the potatoes, because they will cook more in the oven.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer the to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the potatoes and stir to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375°F, turning them after 15 minutes.