This vegan split pea soup is a hearty meal that cooks up quickly in your Instant Pot. It’s filled with vegetables, fiber, and tasty seasonings to create a cozy recipe you’re whole family will love!
You won’t miss the ham in this split pea soup recipe. I’ve added the smoky flavor with smoked paprika (or liquid smoke, if you prefer).
This soup is thick and creamy, filled with nutritious ingredients, and so delicious! My husband says it’s the best split pea soup he’s eaten.
This instant pot versions cooks up so quickly. With the pressure cooker, you can have this soup on the table within an hour! A perfect option for a busy night!
What are split peas?
Split peas area member of the legume family. They are a dried field pea with the outer skin removed. They are then split in half. Split peas are easy to find in the beans section in your grocery store, and are often found in convenient one pound bags – exactly how much you need for this soup!
- Split peas – I used green split peas in this soup, but yellow would also work. Split peas are sold in the bean section in your store and can be purchased in one pound bags.
- Vegetables – onion, carrot, celery, potato, and garlic
- Vegetable broth – you can purchase broth in a can or carton, use homemade broth, or make broth from water and bouillon cubes, paste, or powder
- Seasonings – bay leaf, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper
- Smoked paprika or liquid smoke – to give the smoky flavor that comes from ham in non-vegan split pea soup.
How to make vegan split pea soup in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Begin by sorting and rinsing your split peas. Sometimes there can be small bits of rock in the bag of split peas, and it’s also good to rinse off any dust.
Step 2: Saute the onions, carrots, and celery in your Instant Pot on the Saute setting. You can add a small amount of water or vegetable broth if the vegetables begin to stick to the pot. Deglazing the pot with this liquid adds a nice depth of flavor from the browned vegetables.
Step 3: When the onions are soft and translucent, add the garlic to the pot and continue to saute the vegetables and garlic for about 2 more minutes.
Step 4: Add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Switch the setting to Manual, and set the pot to cook for 10 minutes. After the 10 minute cooking time has ended, allow the pressure to come down naturally.
Step 5: Open the pot and stir to combine.
What to serve with vegan split pea soup
This soup has a good balance of protein, fiber, and vegetable nutrients, but I like to round out my meal with a good salad like my Vegan Caesar Salad or Vegan Coleslaw. Some hearty Multigrain Bread is also a nice accompaniment for the soup, or perhaps some Vegan Corn Muffins.
Frequently asked questions
A pound of split peas is approximately 2 cups.
Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. For longer storage, the soup can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
It is not necessary to soak split peas. They cook more quickly than other beans (only 10 minutes in the Instant Pot!), and break down making a nice creamy soup.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Spit Pea Soup
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 3 celery ribs diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound dried split peas rinsed and drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery in the Instant Pot on the Sauté setting, until the onions are translucent. Use a bit of water to deglaze the pot if the vegetables start to stick.
- Add the garlic and continue sautéing for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook on the Manual setting for 10 minutes with a natural pressure release.
- Open the pot, stir, and enjoy!