This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is a perfect dessert recipe to welcome in summer! Luscious strawberries, oil-free shortcake biscuits, and sweet cashew cream!
It’s strawberry season here in Oregon! These luscious beauties are the first harvest from my strawberry plants this season. And look at that one on the left with toes – ready for the Plantiful Path!
When I saw these berries, my first thought was, “Strawberry Shortcake!” I just knew that these berries were destined to become a delectable dessert !
When people think of strawberry shortcake, they usually either think cake (angel food or sponge cake) or biscuits. In our household, we’ve always followed the cake route for strawberry shortcake. However, traditional shortcake is more like a sweet biscuit.
How I Made My Strawberry Shortcake
I wondered if it would work to sweeten up my Oil-free Vegan Biscuit recipe. Adding a bit of maple syrup worked wonderfully. It resulted in just a slightly sweetened shortcake biscuit. If you want a sweeter dessert, add a little organic sugar.
The additional liquid from the maple syrup did result in a stickier dough. Just make sure to work on a well floured surface. I didn’t kneed this dough, but just gently patted it down and cut the biscuits.
In place of whipped cream, I created a delicious vanilla cashew cream for my strawberry shortcake. I made this by blending soaked raw cashews, soy milk, organic sugar, and vanilla in a high speed blender. If you don’t have a high speed blender such as a Vitamix or a Blendtec, you will need to soak the cashews in water for a bit longer, at least 4 hours, to soften them and then drain before blending.
If you want a lighter whipped cream, try my fat free Aquafaba Whipped Cream.
To assemble your vegan strawberry shortcake, slice the shortcake biscuit in half. Spoon a large pile of strawberries on the bottom half. Top the berries with cashew cream, and place the top half of the biscuit on top. And why not top it all off with a little more berries and cream?
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
For other great vegan desserts, see:
- Fat Free Apple Crisp
- Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Pudding
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Pin to save for later
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Tofu Cashew Mayo
Sweet Cashew Cream
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
To Make the Shortcake Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stir the white vinegar and maple syrup into the soy milk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the mayonnaise to the flour mixture and combine with a pastry cutter or fork until crumbly.
- Add the soy milk mixture and stir just until combined.
- Place the dough on a well floured surface. The dough will be sticky.
- Pat out the dough to about a 3/4 inch thickness and cut into biscuits with a round cookie cutter or a glass.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment lined pan and bake for 10-12 minutes.
To Make the Sweet Cashew Cream
- Place the raw cashews in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for at least one hour.
- Drain and rinse the cashews.
- Place the cashew and all the remaining ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
To Assemble the Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- Slice the shortcake biscuits in half.
- Spoon sliced strawberries onto the bottom half.
- Top the berries with Sweet Cashew Cream.
- Place the biscuit top on top of the berries and cream.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.