Smoky, sweet, savory, and slightly spicy, you’re going to absolutely love these Vegan Sloppy Joes! They cook up quickly in the Instant Pot for an easy dinner the whole family will love!
Did you grow up eating sloppy joes? Maybe made with a can of Manwich? I didn’t, but my husband has fond memories of eating it as a kid. His mom would brown some ground beef, pour in a can of Manwich, and serve it in hamburger buns with a side of french fries or potato salad.
Now that we’re eating plant based, I wanted to create a healthy sloppy joes recipe that he would enjoy just as much, without the high fructose corn syrup in Manwich, and without the ground beef.
This recipe has been made healthier by using brown lentils and other ingredients you likely have in your pantry.
I love cooking with lentils! They’re loaded with protein and fiber, and unlike most other legumes, they don’t need to be soaked before cooking. They’re also great for low budget cooking!
I really think you’re going to love this vegan sloppy lentil recipe! It’s absolutely delicious, and it’s so quick, easy, and filling, it belongs on your regular menu rotation!
If you’re also a lentil lover, you should try my Instant Pot Lentil Soup! It’s one of my husband’s favorite!
I’ve cooked this recipe in my Instant Pot. I love how easy it is to prepare foods in this electric pressure cooker. It’s quick, it doesn’t heat up the kitchen, and you don’t have to monitor the pot and stir the food while cooking. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can cook this on the stove top.
Ingredients in these vegan sloppy joes
- Brown lentils – these lentils hold their shape when cooked. Red lentils fall apart and become mushy
- Onion, bell pepper, and garlic – I used green bell pepper, but you can use any color you prefer
- Tomato Sauce
- Yellow mustard, soy sauce, and vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano
- Brown sugar, maple syrup, or sweetener of choice
How to make these sloppy lentils
Step 1: Saute the onions and bell pepper in the Instant Pot on the Saute setting.
Step 2: Add the garlic and saute for about 2 more minutes.
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients and cook on the Manual setting for 6 minutes.
Step 4: When the pressure has come down, open the pot and stir the lentils.
Serve piled high in a toasted bun, or spoon over toast. If you don’t want to use bread products, this recipe is also delicious spooned over baked potato or baked sweet potato, or over rice.
Top your vegan sloppy joe with sliced onion, pickle slices, sliced avocado, or sliced cabbage. Be sure to have lots of napkins on hand!
Yes! this is a perfect recipe to make in advance. I love to have jars of these lentils in my refrigerator or freezer for quick and easy meals.
This recipe will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, place the lentils in a bowl and microwave on high until heated through. Or reheat the lentils in a pot on the stove.
Yes! These lentils freeze very well. Just place them in an air tight freezer container and freeze for up to 4 months. Thaw it them in the refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
To make this recipe gluten free, substitute gluten free tamari for the soy sauce and serve on a gluten free bun or bread.
Looking for more tasty sandwich recipes?
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- Potato Kale Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Mexican Brown Rice
- Vegetable Stew
- Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Split Pea Soup
And don’t miss my roundup of over 25 oil free vegan Instant Pot recipes from around the web!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker
- 2 cups uncooked brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, maple syrup, or sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in the Instant Pot on the Saute setting. Add small amounts of water when the vegetables start to stick.
- When the onions are soft and translucent, add the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Press stop on the Instant Pot. Then place the lid on the pot, turn the lid to seal, and set the pot to cook on the Manual setting for 6 minutes with a natural pressure release.
- When the pressure has come down, open the pot and stir the sloppy lentils.
- Serve as a sandwich or open face on a bun or your favorite toasted whole grain bread.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.