This Vegan Italian Sausage & Peppers Sandwich is amazing! Flavorful vegan sausages, along with sauteed peppers and onions in a tasty tomato sauce, make a perfect sandwich filling! So quick, easy, and delicious!
I have to admit, I didn’t really care for sausage in my pre-vegan days. But since I discovered vegan sausage, I’m in love! All the meaty texture and flavor, without the mystery of what’s in it.
After testing the recipe for my Vegan Italian Sausages, I ended up with plenty of vegan sausages in my refrigerator and freezer. I’ve been enjoying them in breakfast casserole, in paninis, and just for snacking on. But I decided I wanted to come up with a new recipe using them.
What better way to enjoy these sausages than in an Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwich! The onions, peppers, and tomato filling wonderfully complements the spicy and savory sausages! The perfectly textured sausages, the saucy pepper and onion mixture, and the chewy whole wheat rolls were a perfect match.
I suspected this would be good combination, but I wasn’t really expecting the outcome to be as good as it was!
These sandwiches are amazing! A tad on the messy side, you’ll want to be sure to have an extra napkin, unless you want to wear some of the sandwich on your shirt!
These sandwiches are so quick and easy, they are definitely going to be part of our regular meal rotation.
What do I need to make these sandwiches?
- My Vegan Italian Sausages
- A large yellow onion
- A red bell pepper – but feel free to use green, yellow, or orange
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, dried basil, and dried oregano
- Whole wheat hoagie rolls or baguettes
How to make vegan Italian sausage & peppers sandwiches
Begin by grilling the vegan sausages in a nonstick skillet. Once they are browned to your liking, remove them from the pan and set aside.
Saute the onion and bell pepper in the same nonstick skillet. When the vegetables start to stick, use a small amount of water to deglaze the pan. I like to cook the vegetables until they start to caramelize for added flavor, but you can use a shorter cooking time if you want the onions and peppers to retain a bit of firmness.
Add the garlic and saute for a couple more minutes. Then add the tomato products and the seasoning, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Add in the sausages and cook until they are hot. You can leave the sausages whole, like I did, or slice them before adding to the filling.
Place one sausage and a quarter of the filling in each of the four sandwich rolls. If desired, you can add a slice of vegan cheese or sprinkle on some vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast.
You can easily customize this sandwich filling by increasing the red pepper flakes if you like a spicy filling, or leaving them out completely if you don’t like spice. Also, feel free to use whatever color of bell peppers you like best!
Other vegan sausages can be used, but keep in mind that the vegan sausages bought at the store are highly processed and contain quite a bit of oil. They also are much more expensive than making your own.
If you have leftover filling and don’t want to use it for sandwiches, it would also be delicious on pasta!
Pin to save for later!
If you like this recipe, you might also like
- Buffalo Soy Curl Sub
- Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers
- Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Easy Oil Free Vegan Pepperoni
- Vegan Breakfast Sausage Links
Italian Sausage Sandwich
- 4 Vegan Italian Sausages
- 1 large yellow onion sliced lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper sliced lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat sandwich rolls
- Grill the vegan sausages in a dry, nonstick skillet. Then remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- In the same nonstick skillet, sauté the onion and bell pepper until they are soft. I like to let them caramelize a bit for added flavor. Use a small amount of water as necessary to deglaze the pan.
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and the seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the sausages to the pan. You can leave them whole, or slice them.
- When the sausages are hot, fill each sandwich rolls with one sausages and pepper filling. If desired, you can add a slice of vegan cheese, or sprinkle the sandwich filling with nutritional yeast.
Nutritional information is approximate.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And be sure to sign up for my email list to be among the first to hear about my new recipes. (I promise not to spam you or share your information.)