Looking for a quick, healthy, and tasty lunch? This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is just what you’re looking for! Ready in just 10 minutes, this recipe is perfect for weekday lunches and is easy to pack for work, school, or picnics.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links.
Do you often feel too busy to put together a healthy satisfying lunch? I know I often feel this way. Well here’s a recipe that you can put together in minutes! It packs well in a lunch box, making it a perfect option for weekday lunches and picnics.
This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is so satisfying and tasty! It’s light and fresh, but is loaded with protein and fiber to help fill you up. It’s a great alternative to a tuna salad or chicken salad sandwich.
And it’s low in fat. I use my Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise which has only 1 gram of fat and less than 20 calories per tablespoon – much less than regular mayo.
Ingredients in this vegan chickpea salad sandwich
- Chickpeas – I used drained and rinsed canned chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), but you can also cook your own from dried
- Vegan Mayonnaise – my homemade vegan tofu mayonnaise recipe is perfect for this chickpea salad, but use your favorite vegan mayo.
- Shredded carrots
- Chopped celery
- Unsalted sunflower seeds
- Chopped green onions
- Dijon mustard
- Sweet pickle relish
- Lemon juice
- Dried dill
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Chickpea Salad
1. Mash chickpeas by hand with a potato masher or pastry cutter, or pulse them a few times in a food processor. Don’t puree the chickpeas – you want to leave some chunky texture. It’s OK if there are still a few whole beans.
2. Dice up some celery, shred a carrot, and slice some green onion. Add these to the bowl with the smashed chickpeas, along with the remaining ingredients.
3. Stir everything together until it is well combined. Taste for seasoning, and add additional salt, pepper, mustard, or lemon juice to taste.
4. Then just scoop the chickpea mixture onto your oil free bread (lightly toast it if you like), add your favorite vegetable fillings, and enjoy! Could it be any easier than this? I think not!
What fillings can I put in my Chickpea Salad Sandwich?
I like a simple sandwich with some lettuce and tomato, but feel free to get creative with your sandwich. Some other ideas are:
- Sliced yellow or red onion
- Pickle slices
- Other greens, such as spinach, kale, cabbage, arugula, basil leaves, or spring greens
- Cucumber slices
- Leftover roasted vegetables
Other serving suggestions
- In addition to making a delicious sandwich, the chickpea salad is also tasty scooped on to a bed of salad greens and fresh veggies.
- Use it as a filling for lettuce wraps.
- Spread it on crackers or use as a dip for pita chips.
- Serve it along with some Seasoned Waffle Fries or Baked French Fries.
Frequently asked questions about this recipe
Leftover chickpea salad will last for several days in the refrigerator, so you can enjoy it throughout the week.
Yes. Home cooked chickpeas will probably be a bit drier than the canned chickpeas, so you will probably want to increase the mayonnaise.
Yes! The chickpea salad is entirely gluten free. For the sandwich, just use your favorite gluten free bread. Or skip the bread and enjoy a scoop of the chickpea salad on a bed of salad greens, or as a filling for lettuce or collard wraps.
Looking for other vegan sandwiches?
- Buffalo Soy Curl Sub
- Black Bean Burgers
- TLT Sandwich (Tofu, Lettuce, and Tomato)
- Pepperoni Pizza Panini
- Vegan Sloppy Joes
- BBQ Soy Curl Sandwich
- Italian Sausage Sandwich
- Chickpea Burger
- Hummus Veggie Wrap
- Chickpea Lettuce Wrap
Make this Chickpea Salad Sandwich and let me know what you think by leaving a comment and a star rating below. I love to hear from you!
And come join my Oil Free Vegan Recipes and Support Facebook group, where you can share your favorite oil free vegan recipes, and give and receive support on your plant based journey.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 2 green onions sliced
- 3 tablespoons Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Whole grain bread
- Mash the chickpeas in a bowl or pulse in a food processor to chop up. Do not puree; there should still be chunks of chickpea.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir together to combine well.
- Spoon the chickpea salad onto the whole wheat bread. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and any other vegetables you desire.
Pin it now to save for later: