This Vegan Potato Salad recipe allows you to enjoy classic potato salad taste with a fraction of the calories of traditional potato salad. Only 7 ingredients, and it’s dairy free, egg free, gluten free, and oil free!
Summer’s almost here and it will soon be picnic time! This plant based potato salad is a perfect side dish for all your picnics, cookouts, and potlucks. Or as a side for your burger or sandwich meals anytime.
This is such a great recipe for vegan potato salad! It tastes just as good as the classic potato salad, and it has been a hit at potlucks.
At one family gathering, my cousin’s wife asked who made the delicious potato salad. When she was told that I brought it, her response was, “No way! This can’t be vegan.”
She was absolutely shocked when it was confirmed that yes, in fact, it was my vegan potato salad. She let me know that she just had to have the recipe.
- Potatoes – I chose yellow potatoes for this salad because I love their flavor and texture. Red or purple potatoes would also be good in this recipe.
- Vegan Mayonnaise – stores carry vegan mayos, but most of them are full of oil and quite expensive. I chose to use my Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise in this salad.
- Celery – I add some finely chopped celery to add a bit of crunch
- Onion- I like to use finely diced sweet onion, but any onion is fine. I sometimes substitute green onions.
- Yellow mustard – for some tang
- Sweet Pickle Relish – I love the sweet pickle flavor added by the relish!
- Kala Namak (black salt) – to mimic the egg flavor.
What is Kala Namak?
It is an Indian black salt from the Himalayan region of India. It is a volcanic salt, and has a distinctive sulfurous flavor and aroma. When added to vegan recipes, it mimics an egg yolk taste.
Cook the whole potatoes in a large pot of water until they are soft. Cooking them with the peel on gives them a better texture because they don’t absorb as much water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium to prevent the pot from boiling over.
When the potatoes are fork tender, drain them and run cold water over them to cool them down.
When the potatoes are completely cooled, peel the potatoes, if desired. The peel will come off easily. Dice the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
Add in the celery and onion.
In a small bowl, mix together the vegan mayonnaise, the yellow mustard, the relish, and the black salt.
Add the dressing to the bowl of potatoes and gently toss to coat the potatoes with the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This potato salad can be made in advance. The flavors actually improve after it has been refrigerated for a day. It should last in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
This oil free vegan potato salad is amazing! As good as any potato salad I’ve eaten, and you’ll never miss the oil or eggs. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Pin for later
You might also like:
If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a rating and feedback below. It only takes a few seconds, but helps other visitors to my site and helps my site gain other readers. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment!
And be sure to sign up for my email list to be among the first to hear about my new recipes. (I promise not to spam you or share your information.)
Vegan Potato Salad
- Scrub the potatoes, place them in a large pot of water, and boil the potatoes until they are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and run cold water over them to cool.
- Peel the potatoes, if desired, and dice them into bit sized pieces.
- Mix together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Place potatoes, onion, and celery in a large bowl and fold in the dressing to combine.
- Cover bowl and chill in refrigerator.
Nutrition calculations are approximate.